Reasons To Drink Alkaline Water
Water intake is an essential component of good health, and drinking alkaline water has benefits that many people swear by. The scientific world hasn’t exactly chosen to rubber-stamp the theory that alkaline water has benefits worth pursuing. While the debate may continue on its merits, the following information focuses on the reasons you should be drinking alkaline water.
What is Alkaline Water?
Water is hydrogen and oxygen combined, and that’s why its chemical formula is H2O. The pH level of water points to its range of acidity from 0 to 14. The middle number, 7, is considered neutral. Water with a pH below 7 is “acidic.” Water with a pH of 7 or higher is “alkaline.”
The Environmental Protection Agency recommends tap water with a pH level between 6.5 and 8.5. However, in the US, it is more typical for the pH in tap water to fall in the range of 4.3 to 5.3.
Bottled water generally has an unpredictable range of alkalinity unless it is specified that the pH level is above 7. Manufacturers can change the chemical makeup of water to increase its alkalinity by using special devices or adding certain nutrients. You can also use a water system in your home as your source for alkaline water.
The pH level alone isn’t all there is to alkaline water. It must also contain alkaline minerals and negative oxidation-reduction potential (ORP). A more negative ORP value in the water means that its antioxidizing properties are greater.
Studies Suggest You Should Drink Alkaline Water
Significant benefits are attributed to drinking alkaline water. Enthusiasts base their confidence in the benefits of alkaline water on various studies. The following are benefits discovered in studies about drinking alkaline ionized water:
- One study suggests that individuals with diabetes, high cholesterol, and high blood pressure derive health benefits from drinking alkaline water.
- More recently, a study involving 100 participants found that Consuming alkaline water after a strenuous workout significantly impacts whole blood viscosity as compared with drinking regular water. Viscosity has to do with the efficiency of blood flowing through the vessels. The ultimate conclusion was that individuals who drink alkaline water have more efficient blood flow, which increases the amount of oxygen that is delivered throughout the body.
Additional Claims on the Benefits of Alkaline Water
A low pH in plain drinking water is blamed for a number of health problems, including cancer and osteoporosis. The following advantages of drinking alkaline water, according to proponents, are not backed by conclusive scientific research:
- Cancer resistance
- Colon-cleansing properties
- Immune system support
- Weight loss
- Reduces bone loss
- Anti-aging properties
- Detoxifying properties resulting in improved skin health and hydration
- Slows aging
- Improves metabolism
- Improves digestion
Contact The Water Source
If you are interested in a water system for your home or your business, contact The Water Source at
(845) 297-1600 or stop by at 1234 Route 9, Wappinger Falls, NY. We have a number of options for filtered water, and we also offer alkaline water systems. Get the most out of your drinking water. Contact us today if you have questions or are convinced you should be drinking alkaline water.